Covering a total area of 35,000m², this project involved the provision of 2 full-size GAA pitches, 4 soccer pitches, 1 natural turf pitch, 2 ball walls, a spectator terrace area, floodlighting, access roads, coach parking and set down areas, site services, associated site development works and landscaping.
The existing 400m, 8-lane all-weather running track, adjacent to the UL Arena, was completely refurbished and resurfaced. These works required the installation of an IAAF approved full pour non-porous cast elastomer system complete with line marking. As part of the development, floodlighting systems were installed for both the synthetic grass playing pitch and the natural grass playing pitch, as well as the installation of all storm and foul drainage infrastructure. Pitch irrigation systems were designed to include storage tanks for the harvesting of rainwater.
A running trail, also known as “The Golden Mile” was created to encourage a healthy and active lifestyle amongst students and other campus users.
Services provided by TOBIN Consulting Engineers on this project:
Civil Engineering Structural Engineering PSDP Specialist Sports Infrastructure Design
Project Management Contract Administration Assigned Certifier
Key elements include:
- Bulk Excavation and filling
- Installation of new synthetic Grass Playing Pitch
- Installation of new natural Grass Playing Pitch
- Construction of 2 No. Ball Walls
- Construction of new 80 space carpark to south of playing pitches including all associated works.
- Construction of new access road to north of playing pitches including all associated works.
- Construction of Spectator Terrace Area to north of Grass Playing Pitch
- Installation of all storm and foul drainage infrastructure including sewers, filter drains, pitch drainage, attenuation, drainage channels, manholes, petrol interceptors and associated services.
- Installation of pitch irrigation system including storage tank and associated infrastructure.
- Installation of complete flood light system for pitches and all associated M&E infrastructure.
- Installation of Ball Stop Nets, Site Fencing and all associated works
- Construction of internal ambulance access road, jogging paths and internal pedestrian paths.
- Construction of Storage Building including Store Rooms, ESB Substation, Switch Room, Pump Room and Toilets.
- Removal and disposal of existing track surface
- Removal and replacement of existing perimeter fence including gates
- Excavation and disposal of material for and construction of a new retaining wall and track sections
- Install new kerbing to form new 100m straight
- Provide new inside perimeter drainage channel to track including sumps and connect to existing storm collection sewer
- Upgrading of existing Water Jump
- Upgrading of existing Long Jump and sand pits
- Installation of ducting and duct chambers
- Regulate existing macadam base
- Install IAAF approved a Full Pour Non-Porous Cast Elastomer System or Prefabricated System track surface complete with line marking
Full IAAF testing and measurement survey of new athletics track